Reading and Phonics
We have is a clear, systematic approach to the teaching of phonics. It is taught every day in Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1 & these phonic lessons last 20-30 minutes.
The program of study for phonics is sequenced and progressive, starting with hearing sounds in words to eventually reading and writing complex spelling patterns and rules. We adopt a teaching sequence of: Review, teach, practice, apply and assess and use Letters and Sounds, Jolly Phonics, reading scheme materials and online games to provide a multisensory approach to all teaching and learning.
Children’s ability in phonics is regularly assessed during phonics lessons and application in reading and writing and from this children are grouped based on their learning needs. Children in KS2, who still have gaps in their phonics knowledge, are provided with support and intervention to enable progress.
To find out more about how you can help with phonics progression at home please read the parents pamphlet.
Our aim is to develop a love of reading in all our children and we encourage reading to be an integral element of our whole curriculum and learning environment. Children are given the opportunity to read on a daily basis, sometimes with an adult and other times independently.
Important skills are taught through shared, guided and independent reading. The focus of Reading is not only the ability to decode text, but also to show a clear understanding of what is happening in the book, through deep questioning and thoughtful prompting. This is in order to support children in developing their comprehension, analysis and prediction skills.
- Guided reading takes place in small groups, reading the same text supported by the teacher.
- Independent reading is one-one with adult/ teacher support.
- Shared reading is whole class or larger groups sharing the same text either through listening to it being read or reading the text together.
Reading Scheme used:
- KS1 - Rigby Star (Clinker Castle, Pirate Cove, Independent) and Oxford Reading Tree (Snap Dragons, Traditional Tales, Songbirds) plus independent choice reading material
- KS2 - Project X and Project X Intervention code plus independent choice reading material
- Pearson Bug Club plus supplementary texts.
- Text from relevant, up to date and inspirational authors linked to the curriculum.